Small compilation of why a visit to Ngong Hills while in Nairobi is absolutely worth putting as a priority.
by Michael Hinga
- The Dirty History: Ever filled with enthusiasm, curiosity and excitement learning about the history of a place? Questioning what really happened. The interesting characters whose lives intersected with famous landmarks? Well there’s a story. And Ngong Hills involved dramatic lives of colonialists recorded in a book turned movie. Meryl Streep is featured. Here’s the story Once upon a time, Danish author Karen Blixen lived at the foot of these hills. Here she met her lover , a big game hunter, Denys Finch Hutton and somewhere down the line her best work ‘Out Of Africa’ was born. This is a great place for the ‘old souls’ or those who love history and culture to check out . It is rumored that Karen Blixens lover was buried in these hills. Good luck finding his grave.
- Perfect workout getaway: The hills are open spaces with a lot of fresh air flowing continuously. If you are thinking yoga we are on the same page! It is also just the place to go for hiking or running, with an armed ranger- it is kind of attached to a forest. The great thing is you decide on pace and difficulty levels you would like to take on. So go ahead and make yourself proud of all the work you put in.
- Kick ass views: The vantage point from the top shows Nairobi, the Park and areas beyond from a great position. Giant windmills in the backdrop do not hurt this either.
- Being in nature: Its amazing to be lost in the peaceful greenery of the hills. Just chill, breathe, meditate, have a picnic or do whatever floats your boat in such spaces. The skyline changes a lot and the sunset on a clear evening is pretty wicked!
- Find solitude: It is perfect if you need to get away from all the noise In the city or crowded areas of Nairobi and spend a couple hours in peace and quiet.
- Adventure time : Discovering the hills that are the background scenery of Nairobi city and from the National park. The great thing about accessible towers and rooftop bars in Nairobi is that with a clear sky Ngong hills are easily visible beyond the city. And yes the sight is absolutely remarkable.
- It is the perfect instaworthy spot. This is among-st some of the most absolutely stunning instaworthy places you must absolutely visit! If you are into this sort of thing. Ngong hills is also great for creative projects. It would be difficult to butcher shots or selfies from this picturesque location. At the very least you will have kick-ass enviable shots.
See for yourself.
Attempting a version of bridge pose.
Who doesnt love a handstand. On an effing Windmill!!!
This was pure magic to me. The clouds, the mill… Thanks Michael Hinga for being such a kick ass photographer!
Think I nailed the awkward gaze into nothingness <3 with a stunning backdrop by Michael Hinga
For the freaking fun of it!